Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rocky Raccoon 100

As many of you know this race is part of my and Liz's quest to run 30 100 mile races in one calendar year. We both did the Long Haul 100 in FL two weeks ago.  On the Monday after the race we flew home to GA and went right to work that night, needless to say, a bit sleep deprived to start a 12 hour night shift.  That may have been part of our downfall or maybe not but later in the week we both started suffering from a nasty infection in the lungs.  I'm pretty sure it was a bacterial infection but I'm not sure if we picked it up in FL, at work in GA, or perhaps we had been hosting it and our immune systems got weak enough that it was able to establish itself.  In any event, we both had terrible coughs, fevers, and could only sleep with the aid of Nyquil for a week or more.  I started feeling better on the Wednesday before the Rocky Raccoon 100 and by race morning was feeling okay though a bit tired.  Liz, on the other hand, coughed through the night before the race and struggled throughout because of the crud.  Hopefully we can both get past this soon as we have a busy schedule ahead......

Our alarm went off at 5am for the 6am start but we hardly needed it as the thunder was shaking the foundations of the hotel!  I looked outside and the rain was coming down in buckets.  I looked at the radar and it showed a very strong line of T-storms just moving through the area.  It looked to probably be raining by the time we started but the worst should be through.  Then I remembered that RD Joe Prusaitis had offered an early start so there were folks starting in this deluge ... I'm glad I wasn't one of them!  We packed up and I got soaked just dashing to the car 50 feet from the motel overhang.  It was shaping up to be a race to remember.  A quick stop at McDonalds for coffee and it was off to Huntsville State Park.  There was a backup at the park gate where they were collecting park fees for spectators so we were held up a bit.  Liz headed to the start area to drop her drop bags off and I followed here about 1 minute later, planning to meet before the start.  Well, I heard the countdown just as I was approaching the corral where the drop bags of 750 runners were.  I missed the start but was able to join in with the latter part of the pack. I never did see Liz at the start line.

As we started it was raining pretty good and while the trail wasn't too terribly narrow there were a LOT of runners!  I just settled into the easy pace knowing that there was plenty of time and that I wanted to try to start really slow to warm up anyway.  We always say that we're going to start real easy but then get caught up in the excitement and adrenalin of the crowd and go faster than we plan.  My only real goal beyond just finishing the race in the allotted time was to go sub-24.  With the flat and fast course I expected to have a comfy margin for a slow start and time at the aid stations to eat well.  As we continued along the course in the continuing rain it became evident that there was going to be some sloppy going.  In places there were good sized puddles as well as some soft muddy spots.  I realized that keeping the feet from getting soaked was not going to happen so I soon just started splashing through the puddles rather than spending the time and energy to pick my way around them as most everyone else was doing.  Later on in the race when things started to dry out some and I changed shoes and socks I did start to work to keep them from getting completely soaked but early on it was just raining too hard - the feet were guaranteed to get soaked.

It rained for about 2-3 hours and then stopped until mid afternoon when it rained again for an hour or so.  The course drained remarkably well though there were places where the mud bogs never did drain out.  I found the course to be a bit harder than I expected but that was probably from all the wetness and mud.  The roots were rarely bad enough to slow you down  but you definitely had to pay attention and have a good light.  I found when I used a headlamp alone I wouldn't see the roots always and kept stumbling.  With a handheld I rarely tripped on the roots.  The course has several sections where traffic goes in both directions and the 50 mile course differs slightly from the 100 mile course but the markings on the course were amazingly well done.  Staying on course really was a no brainer.  In the spots where you could go wrong there were multiple signs including red "wrong way" signs as well as runner corridors that channeled you where you needed to go.

The volunteers were also really excellent.  There were plenty of them and they were ready to help you in any way they could.  Some of the aid stations also had a wide array of homemade goodies in addition to hot soup, sandwiches, wraps, breakfast burritos and more.  My hat is off to all the volunteers!  Thanks you!

Getting back to my race, I ran steady and easy through 52 miles before stopping to change shoes and socks.  I ran the first 52 miles in my new NB MT110's and absolutely loved them!  This was my first run in them with the only break in being wearing them the day before while flying out from GA.  I think I need a half size bigger than what I wore with the MT101's but these shoes feel so much nicer.  I well definitely be using them as much as I can through the year.  I liked the lower heel but the most noticeable thing was that they fit like a smooth glove and the rock plate provided great protection.  They also had MUCH better traction in the muddy conditions.  I used the MT101's in mud and snow at Hardrock last year and slipped all over the place.  These MT110s stuck like glue in the mud.

I changed into some Saucony road shoes which were more cushioned but much less tractiony.  I kept these shoes on to the end though I did change socks one more time just because my feet felt so waterlogged and I wanted to feel something dry.  I think it was worth the 3 minutes it took to change.  My energy levels felt a bit low all day but never got real low.  I attribute this to the sickness and work more than Long Haul.  I was able to chug along pretty steady though.  I'm guessing my laps were about 4:20, 4:30, 5:00, 4:50 and 5:00.  This is just from memory so it could be off.  My finishing time was 23:31.

I was impressed with how many first time 100 milers there were.  And so many of them finished well.  It's very encouraging and inspiring to see so many coming into the sport.  There are so many young people and folks so psyched and excited to be achieving something as big as running 100 miles.  I heard a lot of great stories and saw some amazing feats of determination.  One thing that I have noticed on the other hand as the sport has grown is disrespect for the outdoors.  I don't know if it's coming from shorter distances, mt biking, triathalons  or what but people just seem to dump their trash these days wherever they please.  Not only do you see gu wrappers (especially the small top section) but you see cups, bowls and wrappers literally miles from the aid stations.  In my mind this is totally unacceptable and has to change.

For any new (or old) ultrarunners reading this let's try to change this mindset.  I'm guessing people think that the race volunteers will clean up after them.  But this trash can be missed by the cleanup crew, it can blow into the woods before they get there, or get mushed down into mud or duff only to pop up later.  It also gives a bad impression to other users of the race site as well as park officials.  It's not that hard to get rid of your trash in the bins 100 yds outside the aid station or to carry it until you get to a trash container. I think RD's should make this kind of littering a disqualification offense.  (And some do.)  Sorry for the rant but being old school this trash thing has really gotten out of hand.  We can do better!  End of rant!

I saw Liz 2 miles or so from the finish on my last lap so I knew she'd be a while finishing.  She was moving slow but she was moving and I knew that she would finish.  When I got done, I only hung around the start/finish for a short while before I walked the 1/2 mile to the car and tucked myself into the front seat with the heater on for some rest before Liz came in.  I wasn't sure how long she'd be so I set an alarm so I could be there to greet her at 8:30.  She finally came in just before 11 to finish in 18:56, her 3rd 100 mile finish in 4 weeks and this after starting the race sick.  She is one tough cookie.

We flew home on Monday and as I turned my phone on after landing in Atlanta, it rang.  Work was calling....  Should I answer after what happened two weeks ago?  I did, and told them I would work.  So far I'm feeling OK - no relapse in sight despite a hellishly busy night.  Liz is still coughing like crazy but claims to be feeling better.  Hopefully she too is on the road to recovery and will have this bug licked before the Iron Horse 100 in 1 1/2 weeks.  The journey continues....

This now makes 3 100's for Liz and 2 for me.  Sorry for the lack of photos but with the rain and the lack of a post race breakfast I didn't manage to get one to include here.  Looking forward to the next one and seeing some new and old friends.  Be sure to say Hi if you're at Iron Horse!  Thanks for RD Joe Prusaitis, his lovely wife Joyce and all the most excellent volunteers at Rocky!


  1. Great race report! I agree with you 100% about the trash. It makes me so angry. I would hate to see the houses people live in if they think it's acceptable to throw their trash ou on beautiful trails.

  2. Way to keep the goal rolling! As you said, you both are tough as nails and simply don't DNF. I am glad I discovered your journal of the journey. That Rocky weekend was bad. As for trash, Texas has quite a lot of it during our/Joe's "big races" of Bandera and RR, and the speculation is always that many a road runner joins in, and those people are used to drop crap as they go on a road race. No matter what you say in rules or pre-race meetings. I swept plenty a course, and sometimes it's awesome, but at times it's sickening, indeed.

  3. Congratulations to you both! It was great to have a chance to chat a little at the pre-race meeting. I hope Liz gets better quickly and good luck to both of you at Iron Horse!

  4. Awesome report. I enjoyed it.

    I couldn't believe the trash either.

    Who in their right mind just dumps styrofoam in the middle of the woods, miles from anything? It's just beyond my comprehension that anybody would think that was acceptable behavior. With such wonderful volunteers at RR100, it makes me sad to think that they spent hours cleaning up after thoughtless participants.

  5. Thanks, everyone, for the positive comments. Good to see you too, Juli! I'm not sure what we can do about the trash issue other than spread the word that it's not acceptable. I believe most people want to do right, they just come from a different culture than many of us. Maybe it's a losing battle but it's certainly one worth fighting!

    Preacher Scott

  6. Another down in the quest. As for the trash it was the same when I ran there in 07. hate to think there are so many pigs in our sport.

  7. Scott and Liz,

    Keep rolling and logging your race reports. They are great reads. I hope to see you at the Black Hills.

    Darin Dunham